2023’s challenge- a Guinness World Record attempt for the largest GPS image by bike (aka “Strava Art”)
What will I draw? The world’s largest cross will cover about 950 miles (which would beat the current world record by over 300 miles) in South Dakota, Nebraska, and Minnesota.
As with all my rides, this ride will serve as a fundraiser to help others in need- for World Bicycle Relief’s annual Pedal to Empower event and Filter of Hope.
Whether the cross is meaningful to you personally or not, my goal is that this ride embodies the values of hope, love, sacrifice, and service to others.
Cycling Weekly article!
Key Links for more info
- Route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38274109
- Monitor Dave’s progress (including to meet him along the way) here- https://maps.findmespot.com/s/LN9S.
- Fundraising for World Bicycle Relief and Filter of Hope: click on the Fundraising menu above
- Facebook event page
- Current Guinness World Record- https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/551312-largest-gps-drawing-by-bicycle-individual
- Thursday May 4: 20 mile ride from Lincoln to Valparaiso, Nebraska to start the world record attempt at the SE corner of the cross at ~9am
- Thursday May 4: Valparaiso to Norfolk, NE; ~105 miles
- Friday May 5: Norfolk to Kimball, SD- Westwood Inn; 200 miles
- Saturday May 6: Kimball to DeSmet, SD (home of Laura Ingalls Wilder); 130 miles
- Sunday May 7: DeSmet, SD to ? (possible camping or ride through the night)
- May 8? between Edgerton & Fulda, MN: beat current world record of 639.4 miles!
- May 8-10: overnight stops will depend on daily mileage
- May 9 or 10: finish the Cross ride in Valparaiso, Nebraska; total distance: 958 miles / 1543km
Support the World Record attempt!
- Make a donation of any amount
- Sponsor a day of the ride or a state (minimum $250 donation is requested)
- Sponsor a city ($100) or even a road.
- Photos, witnesses, and other evidence for Guinness is required each day. If you live near the route, please come out to say hi, ride a few miles with Dave, and sign a Guinness record witness statement!
For all specific donations, Dave will send pictures and recognize your generosity.
Also watch social media for ride updates!
Previous Strava Art
SRAM500 (exactly 500 miles):
World Bicycle Relief:
Memorial ride for my Mom:
I even rode a smaller version of the Cross Ride- a measly 120 miles near home: