Dave Schweikert Christ follower Father Engineer Guinness World Record holding Ultracyclist
Dave Schweikert is currently an engineering manager at the Zipp wheel factory (part of SRAM) in Indianapolis, Indiana. A native of Akron, Ohio, he grew up in Raleigh, NC. Following his graduation in Mechanical Engineering from NC State University (go Wolfpack!), Dave worked for Caterpillar before relocating to Indiana. He spent 20 years in the automotive industry with Remy (now a division of Borg Warner), progressing through a variety of engineering and management positions before joining SRAM and Zipp in 2012. Dave has worked internationally for much of his career, including an expatriate assignment in Shanghai, China in 2011-12. He also holds a master’s degree in Engineering Management from Rose-Hulman, and was formerly a registered Professional Engineer. For more on Dave’s professional background, please see his LinkedIn profile.
Dave was a competitive runner since his school days. Although he completed his first century ride in 2002 (on a mountain bike!), he only came to road cycling at the age of 40. Here are a few of his main cycling accomplishments:
- Holder of 2 World Records- see Past Adventures for details
- As of early 2022, has raised over $35,000 riding for World Bicycle Relief
- In 2017, completed a solo, unsupported ride across the US, covering 3600 miles in 28 days, and raising over $16,000 for World Bicycle Relief
- In 2018, completed a solo ride through 4 states, covering 830 miles in 82 hours
- Over 200 lifetime century (100 mile) rides, and 15 double centuries (over 200 miles in one day)
- Has ridden in about half the states in the US and a dozen foreign countries on 5 continents: see his Wandrer.earth profile
- Longest ride: 376.4 miles during 24 hours in a Roundabout
- Most miles ridden in 1 year: 17,132 in 2020
- Biggest climb: ~10,500 ft climbing the Wuling Pass in Taiwan in January 2020
- Biggest Strava accomplishment: not a KOM (though he has a few), but rather besting Indy 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya on a segment- at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!