Dave Schweikert with his wife Alisa Christ follower Husband and Father Engineer Endurance cyclist
Dave Schweikert is currently the Quality Manager for Zipp in Indianapolis, Indiana. A native of Akron, Ohio, Dave grew up in Raleigh, NC. Following his graduation in Mechanical Engineering from NC State University (go Wolfpack!), Dave worked for Caterpillar before relocating to Indiana. He spent 20 years in the automotive industry with Remy (now a division of Borg Warner), progressing through a variety of engineering and management positions before joining SRAM and Zipp in 2012. Dave has worked internationally for much of his career, including an expatriate assignment for Remy in Shanghai, China in 2011-12. He also holds a master’s degree in Engineering Management from Rose-Hulman, and was formerly a registered Professional Engineer. For more on Dave’s professional background, please see his LinkedIn profile.
Dave was a competitive runner since his school days at distances ranging from 400m to a marathon. Although he completed his first century ride in 2002 (on a mountain bike!), he came to road cycling at the age of 40. Here are a few of his main cycling accomplishments:
- Bicycled nearly 100,000 miles since 2007, with a daily commute of over 50 miles
- In 2014, finished 1st in Indiana and 27th nationally in the National Bike Challenge, out of about 50,000 cyclists
- In 2017, completed a solo, unsupported ride across the US, covering 3600 miles in 28 days, and raising over $16,000 for World Bicycle Relief
- In 2018, completed a solo WBR fundraising ride through 4 states, covering 830 miles in 82 hours
- Over 100 lifetime century (100 mile) rides, and six double centuries (over 200 miles in one day)
- Has ridden in about half the states in the US and a dozen foreign countries on 4 continents
- Longest ride in 1 day: 252.1 miles on April 28, 2018, Noblesville thru Martinsville and Brookville, IN to Harrison, OH: Strava
- Most miles in 1 year: 16,018 in 2017
- Biggest Strava accomplishment: not a KOM (though he has a few), but rather besting Indy 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya on a segment- at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!